Re: [V4L] Frame Grabbers

Jacek Pop³awski wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 03:39:11PM -0700, Purang Abolmaesumi wrote:
> > Hello Everybody,
> > I am looking for a framegrabber which has a capture resolution of 640x480 at
> > 30fps, and has support for linux. I have looked into the frame grabber pages
> > for linux and it is sort of confusing and some of the links do not work
> > properly.
> > Can anybody simply recommend me one?
>
> I think card doesn't matter, you need fast CPU and very fast hard drive,
> if you will save avi for example with xawtv or kwintv - you hard
> disk can't write so much data and you will have broken frames,
> if you try mpeg (I know only one application which does it - fame)
> your cpu may can't calc 30 frames 640x480 in every second...

First off, I know little of any of this, take this for what it's worth.

What about using memory for your capture storage, rather than hard
drive?  Sure, you're going to be limited to the size of the capture,
still is this possible?  I believe it's called Ram disk support?  Here's
the help from the kernel config:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
  Saying Y here will allow you to use a portion of your RAM memory as
  a block device, so that you can make filesystems on it, read and
  write to it and do all the other things that you can do with normal
  block devices (such as hard drives). It is usually used to load and
  store a copy of a minimal root file system off of a floppy into RAM
  during the initial install of Linux.

A possibility for those folks with large memory systems?