Re: [V4L] RDS in /proc/rds? + MiroSound PCMxx

From: kraxel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gerd Knorr)
> Russell Kroll wrote:

> > The interesting bit here would be establishing how the data is
> > conveyed. The Cadet card gives you raw blocks (A-D, or A-E in the
> > case of some messaging services) on reads of /dev/radio and then
> > userspace has to parse it.  It appears that this other card
> > actually provides sane interpretations of the data for you, so it
> > won't work the same way.
>
> Then let the driver provide interpreted data is the only way I can
> see to provide a common interface to userspace, althrouth this might
> become a dirty job for the cadet driver depending on what needs to
> be done to parse the stuff...

Hmm, my driver could mimic raw data, but this also not what I want. -
Anyway, the MiroSound PCM20 radio gives just a small subset of all
available RDS-features (comparable with car radios which usually just
use the most known services like Radiotext or Alternative Frequencies).

The Cadet card seems to be more mighty. - Is this card still available
on the market?

But applications and (my) drivers would be easier to write with a
'interpreted interface' - especially because I dont know any broadcast
station which uses RDS-features like 'emergency information' or any
'inhouse function' use.

Furthermore I currently dont know how to support select() in my
driver - it would be a constant polling in my case (no irq)!?

Ciao,
	Robert