Re: Frames come in bursty when capturing with low framerate

I am not a programmer but a lurker/project manager.  I have programmers who
work for me though and for a long time I have thought that the answer is to
set the "temporal decimation register" on the capture card itself.  Then the
frame grabber will throw away the unwanted frames before they ever get to
the PCI bus.  This should work at least on the BT878 cards we use, but the
V4L driver or 878 driver (not sure which) does not react correctly to the
card dropping a frame.  When you set the card/chipset to decimate and only
deliver 5 out of 30 frames for example, when the driver encounters a
"skipped" frame it returns the previous frame to the application, not an
"empty" buffer.  So the video which appears seems to stutter back and forth,
V4L unable to "not deliver" a frame to the PCI bus.  I have put up to 12
bt878 capture cards in a system with a big backplane and it seems to load
and "work" for a bit but garbage starts to appear after about 4 cards and it
becomes generally unstable for 4+ cards, and totally unstable beyond 8
cards.  This seems to be true for both single port wintv type and 4 port
cards (with 4 x BT878) such as the Imaging Source cards.  Telling the
application layer to decimate does nothing to reduce the demands on the PCI
bus which is starting to get saturated at 4 inputs x 320x240 -- and earlier
if you try to use 640x480 resolution.

or I am completely clueless.  but I think that the driver or V4L has to be
patched to correctly use the temp. dec. register.  If I am wrong, sorry for
wasting the bandwidth ;-)

Cheers

Chris