bttv tuner debug howto

Dear list members (and especially Gerd),

Summary of my letter: I am looking for documentation/howto about bttv
tuner module debugging/hacking.

Details:

I have bougth a Pinnacle PCTV card recently.
The card works under Win2k, works with Composite/S-VIDEO input under
Linux, but not with RF input. The visible chips on the card are
Connexant-878, and Phillips TDA9885. The RF part, however, enclosed in a
sealed Faraday-cell that I am not able to open without risking my
warranty (it would involve quite an amount of SMD soldering work).

After doing some websearching I am now confident that there is a tuner
driver problem with the card under Linux.
I use a debian  unstable with stock debian 2.4.22-1-686 kernel, bttv
cardtype=39.  The tuner modules bootstraps  the tda9887 module, whose
source file claims that it indeed supports TDA9885 as well.  According
to the kernel messages the bttv tuner module thinks that this card has
an MT2032universal tuner, but later it warns: "it is not a MT2032".

I even have made a short shellscript that loaded/unloaded the
bttv/tuner/tda9887 modules to/from the kernel  with different tuner
type=xx arguments for all known tuner type numbers for my bttv (1-40),
none of them seems to work, the experiments has been made with xawtv.

It is interesting that if my /etc/modules.conf contains cardtype 39 for
bttv and tuner type 1 for tuner, then during the first launch of xawtv
the screen shows a mis-tuned station. When I try to fine-tune it, it
disappers and never comes back until the next cold reboot (i.e., with
cycling AC power).

I have registered at Pinnacle and ask for help, but no answer so far. I
have registered at MicroTune Inc. (MT)  and asked for help with this
tuner, but no answer so far.

I have read rumours that the new Pinnacles might have a new tuner chip
MT2050 and there is a press release from MT that they won primary
supplier status for their MT2050 one-chip-on-silicon-solution RF-tuner
from Pinnacle. They stated in April that thely "will" (when?) supply
MT2050 for the Pinnacle PCTV series. However, I have not been able to
found sound confirmations of that the  actual tuner chip change has been
indeed done in Pinnacle PCTV production, anywhere on the net.

I am quite frustrated about the situation: I have chosen Pinnacle
purposefully on the belief that is supported under Linux....
I might even consider the try to hack the tuner code myself, however, I
have almost zero knowledge about RF broadcast technology, neither
programming an RF tuner.
However, there is an API description for the MT203x tuners on MT's
website, so I guess that hacking the tuner code for MT2050 should not be
an awfully big problem.

Any kind help about where to start reading, even including RTFM with URL
would be highly appreciated

Thanks, Gabor