V4L

Hello,

   My name is Gabriela Molar, I am doing a MSc degree thesis in the
Department of Astrophysics of INAOE, Mexico, under the supervision of Drs.
Esperanza Carrasco (Department of Astrophysics) and Jorge Pedraza
(Department of Electronics). My thesis work, is based on a proposal for
the astrophysicists i.e. professional astronomers.

 The basic idea is to use  V4L like the standard method to write drivers
for astronomical  CCD cameras.

  We have been able to observe similarities between the interface card of
astronomical CCD's, and the cards that are used to watch TV in a PC, such
as Zoran and BTTV. Then, we decided to use the same principles that are
used to write the drivers for this cards, V4L, but using an astronomical
CCD. Also, we have seen that the XawTV program is used like a graphical
interface for this applications.

  We have successfully been able to make our CCD interface card working with
V4L. But, the astronomical CCD cameras, require the next functions:

- Shutter presence and control

- Exposure time

- Hardware binning ( which does seem a bit different to image scaling )

  We asked Alan Cox and he says that these functions already are been
developed for some cameras with V4L, but we haven't found the way to
enable them. Alan Cox has suggested us to  contact you to see if
you can help us  to enable these functions for our camera.

If we can solve these problems, it will be possible to standardize the use
of V4L for astronomical applications.

  Furthermore as Linux/Unix have been the operating systems for astronomical
data reduction, instrument control and programming. The developing of work
could be a great contribution to Astronomy.

If you need further information, please do contact us, our e-mail address
are:

Ing. Gabriela Molar : premolar@xxxxxxxxx
Dr. Esperanza Carrasco : bec@xxxxxxxxx
Dr. Jorge Pedraza : jpch@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you,

Gabriela.