what card to buy for good capture? Cinergy 600?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new tv card with good capture quality. Is the
Terratec Cinergy 600 TV a good option? I know from the archives, that
the card works, but couldn't figure out wether it does what I want.

I want to use the card among other things to capture VHS video data to
cdrom. It schould also capture from TV. Possible resolution should at
least be DVD 720x576 or better PAL 786x576 at 25 fps. Terratec claims
that it can record in DVD resolution but says nothing about fps-rate.

Here: <http://ciao.de/TerraTec_Cinergy_600_TV_Radio__Test_2496851>
someone is rantig about poor quality but I don't know wether the
problems are caused by the Windows driver or hardware.

For now I want to record 3 clips from vhs, each one below 5 minutes, and
convert them to DVD / DivX. The quality should be good. Would that be
possible with the following configuration?

  AMD Duron 700 MHz
  775 MB RAM
  hdparm says buffered disk reads are 12.19 MB/sec
  S3Virge graphics card with 4MB
  2 GB of free harddisk space.

I want to upgrade the harddisk soon and eventually want to upgrade cpu
and graphics too, but would like to do that later or at least not all at
once.

For now I would be fine with recording the 5 minute clips in some raw
format and converting them later (even if it takes a day or two). But
once I've got a faster CPU it would be nice to save right away in mpeg
format.

Would the Terratec Cinergy 600 TV be a good choice for me? Are there
other alternatives available below 100 EUR? Would even a cheap card
around 50 EUR work? Cards should have stereo FM Radio and be able to
record at least DVD resolution.

Thanks for your help,

       Berny

--