Re: Lifeview FlyTV-USB2 / SAA7113

I think the Pixelview Play TV USB 2.0 Pro is similar, and easier to get hold of,
and maybe better supported (I haven't used it, but I have a PlayTV USB 1.1
that's supported by the NT1004 driver - note that you need both the video
chip and the USB driver supported). I think it's around $190 though could
be wrong.

THere's also a Kworld USB 2.0 for $84 US that looked interesting.

Gadi Cohen wrote:
Message
Hi.

I'm looking for a video-in / tv tuner solution for my laptop.  My top find as far as affordability, features and availability in my country is concerned, is the LifeView FlyTv-USB2.  I either want to be sure that this product will work with Linux or find another option which I'll have to have shipped from overseas.  (Hauppage WinTV USB lacks features and is not easily available, Pinnacle PCTV is a bit expensive).

I wrote to LifeView tech support; they have no Linux drivers but did let on that the FlyTV-USB2 uses the Phillips SAA7113 chipset (didn't say which revision).  The best I can find for this on the 'net is that there is a SAA7113 driver in the usbvision project, and the following seemingly contradictory report in the SAA7113 page:
So you don't need a driver for the saa711x, but a driver for you graphic adapter that supports the video-in / video-out capabilities. So you should concentrate on finding a driver for that thing first. My driver (and I) cannot help you here! Unfortunately, most firms don't release data sheets for their products into public. But without details about the chipsets and how they are wired together, you are simply out of luck.
I haven't bought the thing yet so I can't really screw around with various options.  Does anyone have any experience with this card, other cards with this chipset, or other decent USB options (that are USB2, stereo, MPEG encoding, etc.)?  Or does anyone have any helpful information for me in this regard?

Thanks,
Gadi

Gadi Cohen
Habonim Dror Southern Africa