Re: Cinelerra mess

Uz.ytkownik Wieslaw Kierbedz napisa?:

on 11-08-2003 5:49 AM, Marvin Dickens at mpdickens@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dan Green wrote:

So it looks like I've got plenty of glib's.
The above statement makes no sense at all.

if  it sucks, what's a better alternative.
Cinelerra is, among other things a professional video editing system. It
works
I'm really sorry but my experiences with cinerella are not so wonder.
I tried precompiled version and compiled by myself.
Compilation needs many tricks - I had to compile some parts before, handly
link or copy some binaries from place to place. Some parts needs autoconf
some others not. Some must be configure separately.

1. It does not works with v4l2 API - there is implementation in application
but I suppose the old version (maybe thedirks videodevX?).
2. Cinelerra is not able to open most of avi's and mpeg's encoded with not
compiled in itself codecs. Among many videos encoded with other apps I reach
to open only one - encoded propably with old divx3 under windows.
I did not open even mpeg2 video encoded with xawtv.

I am on the mailing list for Cinelerra and that is the best place to get
help
I tried in the past - "v4l2 does not work? Use v4l1"
as you did  on this list, don't  expect any help at all: The majority of
the users on that list are professionals in the video/movie industry
Maybe it is the cause.
I'm not a proffesionalist.
Application which is not able to convert (identify!) videos even in realy
popular formats is unusable for me.

I think there is one big fault in Cinelerra - own codecs instead standards
existing in system I do not thing that quicktime_codec_avi made on ffmpeg
base could be better than native ffmpeg libavcodec .

P.S. GUI is really excellent. Number of futures - wonder. I still try any
new versions of cinelerra - when I will open an mpeg2 encoded with transcode
(mjpeg) and divx4 produced by libavcodec I'll recomend it as the best
video-editor for linux.
This time I use a few different tools - mencoder, transcode, avidemux etc.
Regards
Wieslaw

I just tried last cinellera release - 1.1.7.
v4l2 is now usable (mine is 2.6-test2-bk8 with bytesex patches).
Application is able to open more formats - this way I can recomend it at least for serious testing (what I do just) and I hope for regular use too.
Regards

--
Wies?aw Kierbedz'
gg  2128870