Re: drop lircd!

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> It is possible to open /dev/input/event<n> and ask for exclusive
> access via ioctl().  If you do that nobody else will see the events,
> neither the linux console nor other applications which are reading
> from the same device.

Good. That solves part of the problem.

> > But it's still unclear how one can configure the system to not put
> > IR key events in the normal input queue.
>
> I don't want to disable it completely.  It may be useful to have the
> IR events in the linux console input queue.  Maybe it is even better
> than the current way to handle it because it just works with every
> application, not only the ones with lirc support added.  For example I
> can browse teletext pages using mtt (or alevt) and control them using
> the remote control.  Neither mtt not alevtd has lirc support ...
> Moving the cursor in emacs works too :)

If you have an IR keyboard you need IR events in keyboard queue.

But for a normal remote control it might be different, depending on
what the user wants. The user must be able to configure. With just
EVIOCGRAB you'd still need lircd to re-route events to applications
according to config, and bypassing X focus.

> This being configureable would be best, i.e. say "this (group of)
> input device(s) should send keyboard events to the linux console".
> Maybe even per virtual console, like it can be done with framebuffer
> devices.  I havn't found a way to do that through, I suspect it is
> not implemented (yet?) :-/

Probably because there was no need for it so far.

It'd best to discuss this on lkml and/or lirc-list.

Johannes