Re: drop lircd!

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> Yes, with lirc_client lib reading from /dev/input/eventx instead of
> talking to lircd the switchover should be transparent for the lirc
> apps.  Can multiple apps read from /dev/input/event<x>?  Do they all
> see all events?

Yes.

> > Putting IR events in keyboard queue might be asking for trouble.
>
> Well, I had a look at the driver mentioned above.  How do you avoid
> that the keyboard events end up in the console keyboard queue?  Seems
> your driver does basically the same mine does.  Can the linux console
> and/or input layer configured somehow to accept keyboard events from
> some input devices only?

Well for 2.4 one just doesn't load keybdev (you lose if you have an USB
keyboard). So far I haven't had a close look at 2.6, but I suspect the
problem has not been addressed yet. Maybe one of the BUS_* types
could be used to distinguish IR remote controls from other keyboards.
But it's still unclear how one can configure the system to not put
IR key events in the normal input queue.

Johannes