Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

Hey Billy/Tuukka,

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 16:48, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   For video capture, if the driver isn't double buffering, it means
> you're dropping every second frame.  For applications like gstreamer
> this is an error condition, so not really worth supporting.

Well, somewhat less strong, but yes. Really, we need good threaded
double buffering, or we'll just mess up the rest of the capture process.
And for webcams, you won't notice it, because the webcam is usually the
limiting factor for framerate. For capture cards, this definately isn't
the case.

Anyway, Billy is somewhat right, webcams are a trouble issue here. We
need high-end performance during capture, and a one buffer approach just
wouldn't work. It's worth supporting, but only as a fallback mechanism.

I can try to add support for one buffer, but only as long as the capture
process itself doesn't suffer from it. Full-rate capture is our first
aim, webcams only come next.

Ronald

--
Ronald Bultje <rbultje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>