Re: ADV601/wavelet

> I have been contemplating doing a Video for Linux port for some time but
> am dubious about what benefits this confers, since the (wavelet) video
> content will be meaningless to standard VfL apps. It seems to me that as
> Linux does not a common multimedia architecture then wavelet support
> would have to be added on a per-application basis.

V4L2 tries to extend things a bit further but the basic framework idea
was to make it trivial for a driver to be video4linux compatible.

> I'd appreciate any comments. Having lurked on this group for ages, this
> is the first time I have seen ADV601/wavelet mentioned. Would there be
> any interest in VFL ADV601/wavelet support?

If the code is open source (except the firmware obviously) I'd love to
see it in the base kernel. You are correct that V4L doesn't offer a great
deal but its designed to handle such devices. Other than the basic few
ioctls which can return static data (VIDIOCGCAP, VIDIOCGWIN/SWIN) you don't
actually need to implement the rest if your card simply does "read frame".

I guess you have VIDIOGPICT/SPICT (set/get brightness, hue etc)

For ADV601 wavelet format we would also need to allocate a new format type
for it but thats also no big deal.

In short, I tried to make sure V4L was trivial to plug into existing
drivers because that is exactly how it started.