Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Gene responded:

>The lack of the average operators basic understanding of what it is,
>and a near genetic incapability of reading the waveform monitors we
>engineers put in just so they can check it, leads to what I'll just
>say is some pretty wild settings.

>From what I've seen, the stations in the market seem to not screw it up.
But, I watch very little network programming via the local stations.  I
prefer my C-Band setup, with analog and digital receivers.  With the digital
receivers, I have them set up so that setup is not added, so that my DVCAM
recordings are correct.  Of course, they are a little dark on my TV, which
it setup for setup :-)

>This was originally done way back up the logs in about 1946 as a way
>to make sure the superblack sync pulses stayed superblack and
>invisible.  However, if we could forget the occasional pre 1970 tv
>thats still out there, we could now turn it down to 0 IRE and
>superglue the flippin knob in place.  However, I'm equally sure that
>if we were to do that, the friendly candy company would walk in the
>door tomorrow with a list of setup violations at $20,000 each.  So
>we're stuck with it, at least till hell freezes over or ntsc
>transmissions are shut down forever.  Personally, at the present rate
>of conversion, I'm betting on hell freezing over first...

Turning off NTSC setup at this point would cause backwards compatibilty
problems.  Specifically when the user adjusts their set for correct viewing
of no-setup material will have washed out video when they play any tape that
they have on the shelf made before setup was removed.  Same problem playing
any DVD, since all current players add setup to NTSC output (at least they
are supposed to :-).

So, while setup is not ideal, the alternative is worse.

And yes, Hell will probably freeze over first :-)

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign