Re: [RFC/PATCH] sysfs'ify video4linux

Greg KH wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 04:31:19PM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
Changes required/recommended in video4linux drivers:

* some usb webcam drivers (usbvideo.ko, stv680.ko, se401.ko and ov511.ko) use the video_proc_entry() to add additional
   procfs files.  These drivers must be converted to sysfs too
   because video_proc_entry() doesn't exist any more.

I'd be glad to do this work once your change makes it into the core.

I can do the ov511 work if you want. I can have it done in two days (or less).

Is there any need for these drivers to export anything through sysfs now
instead of /proc?

Yes, at least with ov511. Some of the info that it puts in /proc is no longer necessary. However, there are various bits of hardware info that still need to get to userspace, for scripts that need to tell otherwise identical (same VID/PID/revision) cameras apart when creating /dev nodes.

Is there a convention for naming driver-specific files in /sys? E.g.: ov511_foo, _foo, etc...? I don't want to pollute the namespace.

From what I remember, it only looked like debugging and other general info stuff.

There *is* some debugging stuff I would like to keep, at least for now. Approximately half of the bug reports I get are resolved after I see the user's /proc info. Is it acceptable to put it all in one file, since it isn't meant to be machine-parseable anyway? Some of the HCI drivers do that, right?

--
Mark McClelland
mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx