Re: cannot find tuner.o

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Bryan Koschmann - GKT wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, warren hrach wrote:
>
> > Bryan,
> >     If the card is detected during boot up try 'xawtv'.  The docs and all
> > are in an rpm for it.  I use it daily for TV from my cabletv tuner box on
> > just channel 3.
>
> Hi Warren,
>
> That is in fact what I am trying to use, however I cannot get any video
> (nor anything using radio to tune stations). Everything I can find points
> to this being from a missing tuner.o. And I can of course find the
> tuner.c and tuner.h in the kernel source, however I have no idea what
> options will get it to compile.
>
> Furthermore it is even more confusing that there are various patches
> (v4l2, bttv) and tarballs (bttv, videodevX) all of which dont give a
> straightforward "use these patches OR use this tarball, OR use the tarball
> from site x".
>
> So which is really needed, the videodevX from thedirks.org, or the v4l2
> patches (and others) from bytesex.org? And, where on earth is the tuner
> option, to get tuner.o compiled, in the kernel config?
>
> If there is another list that is more directed at bttv stuff please let me
> know, I don't want to be off topic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Bryan

I am sure you are on the right list and on topic.
Actually I have little knowledge of patches, or tarballs relating to
tvcards and xawtv.
I first got a AverTV video stereo card and installed on my R.H. V7.2 but
that took a kernel recompile and someone else did it for me.  When I
installed RH V8.0 the card was detected immediatley and all I had to do
was run 'scantv' or similar to start the .xawtv file in my user dir.
I keep my RH uptodate using up2date often. My current kernel is
2.4.20-18.0 updated when kernel updates are announced.
I did try RH 9.0 but when xawtv did not want to work correctly I just went
back to 8.0.  It may well be RH 9.0 is now working better with xawtv and
tvcards but for no will stick to RH 8.0.

YMMV so all I can say is I see no need to mess with patches tarballs etc,
stick with RedHat and it should work.

Warren