Re: how to improve the capture speed from V4L

Michel Bardiaux (mbardiaux@xxxxxxxxxxx):

> Depends on *what* later processing tools you use. The thread started
> with a requirement of 25fps and a lossless codec supported by matlab.
> But if you write your own post-processing tools, you can just use
> ffmpeg with a .yuv output file. That will give you one big file of
> successive frames of raw video in YUV420PL format. Not the easiest
> format to use, but I think this is the lossless format that will
> stress the CPU and IO the least. It is also an acceptable input format
> for ffmpeg in case you want to encode later.
>
> Friendlier lossless codecs will use more CPU and IO and probably
> produce bigger files. (BTW I found that if the disk is IDE one *has*
> to use hdparm to turn DMA on, or you will lose frames).

  FWIW, I wrote a lossless codec that is extremely cheap for encoding
(decoding is still slower than I like).

  http://scanline.ca/compression/

  It's kinda like huffyuv, which I think is supported in ffmpeg now.

  -Billy