Re: how to improve the capture speed from V4L

Steven Ellis wrote:
[snip]

Im interested to know what tools you use for capture,
and what format you capture in. I'm after a good way
to capture useing a lossless codec for later
processing.

Steve

Depends on *what* later processing tools you use. The thread started with a requirement of 25fps and a lossless codec supported by matlab. But if you write your own post-processing tools, you can just use ffmpeg with a .yuv output file. That will give you one big file of successive frames of raw video in YUV420PL format. Not the easiest format to use, but I think this is the lossless format that will stress the CPU and IO the least. It is also an acceptable input format for ffmpeg in case you want to encode later.

Friendlier lossless codecs will use more CPU and IO and probably produce bigger files. (BTW I found that if the disk is IDE one *has* to use hdparm to turn DMA on, or you will lose frames).

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles