Re: Matrox Meteor 1 framegrabb into bmp

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 10:26, schnatte@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> schnatte@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>  > Matlab supportes JPEG. But I want work with JPEG while to my
>>  > knowledge JPEG is compressed. Normal I want to work with bmp
>>  > but I heared it ist better with ppm. This is why I want to work
>>  > with it. Perhaps its false.
>>
>> I dont want to be rude, but your English is very hard to
>> understand (although it is probably much better than my German!)
>> It seemed you did *not* want JPEG *because* it is compressed.
>> Right?
>>
>> If so, *why*? Non-compressed formats (or even expanded, if you use
>> ascii) will exacerbate bandwidth problems. You must have a pretty
>> good reason to reject compressed formats, but we still dont know
>> what it is.
>
>Sorry for my english I know it, I will try to work on it.

Its quite adequate for me.  And thousands of times better than my
comprehension of your native tongue.  All the german I ever knew I
got from translating 50 year old Telefunken schematics, which is now
not very much, no recent refreshers.

>For me a compressed image format is a format that have losses.
>e.g. I take 5*5 pixels and calcul the mean of it. So the size is
> smaller as further. In the normal status you dont see the quality
> losses but if you zoom in. Do you understand, what I mean with
> compressed?
>OK but after I had saved the images I want to analyse it with
> Matlab. And I've been afraid that if I use compressed images which
> had information losses, the results are wrong. That's all.

An entirely valid reason to avoid any lossy image format.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M