fourcc codes (fwd)

Excuse me, if I make stupid questions/suggestions, I'm new to the V4L2 and
even V4L feels very confusing. I'm planning a format conversion library.

Does anybody have a table for converting V4L1 format codes
(VIDEO_PALETTE_*) into V4L2 codes (or M$ fourcc codes), or is it even
possible (I feel that V4L2 doesn't have all the same formats as V4L1,
but it's difficult to know since the V4L1 formats are undocumented).

Also does anybody have a table for converting V4L2 format codes to M$
fourcc codes (http://www.fourcc.org/).

Why doesn't V4L2 use the fourcc codes for defining video formats? Even if
it is defined by M$, V4L2 should at least choose codes that can be put
into same namespace as fourcc codes. Otherwise we need more complex
mapping from V4L2 codes to fourcc. It is even more unfortunate that V4L2
calls the codes fourcc codes, because then one easily thinks they are the
fourcc codes as defined by M$ (as I did originally). Clearly, this is not
the case, examples: V4L2 uses 'GREY' while there already are two same
formats in M$ fourcc codes, namely 'Y800' and 'Y8 '. This is not so bad,
much worse are conflicting codes such as 'YUYV' (simple format in V4L2,
some compressed format in fourcc) or 'UYVY'.