Re: Multiplexing multiple video inputs

I've been talking with Niels at http://veejay.sourceforge.net/ off and on for awhile now. I've been trying to get him to write a crossfader for V4l devices. Apparently his next release will support multiple cards, and he has in place a rudimentary chroma-key. Maybe instead of starting a new project you could help on that code. I'm sure he'd love some input. I really think that this is the missing link in linux multimedia. We have great resources for NLE and Capture but no real time switching apps. His comments to me on the subject that there were issues with timing, and I take that to mean gen-lock. How were you planning to use the LM1881 sync sep chip. Are you manufacturing a board? I've used that device for a variety of analogue control applications years ago and had excellant results with it. Its very stable and extremely immune to noisy power supplies and fluctuating voltages (battery operated). Oh and cheap as dirt in an 8 pin dip package. I have a few in inventory if you need them. If you do restart another thread on this topic please include me on your list.

Regards,
Daniel Jircik
http://home.swbell.net/pannomat

You could use a box like the EverPlex 4BQ that combines 4 video inputs
into one output with a picture in each quadrant. It's used in small
shops for security cameras.
Or you could genlock your cameras and switch them with a 4066 and a PIC
for a lot less.
It should not be too hard to program a PIC to switch inputs on vertical
sync.
Martin