Re: xawtv, RedHat 8.0 2.4.18-0, Hauppauge WinTV PrimaFM

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Bogle, David (SAIC) wrote:

> I've had xawtv working on my box, perfectly, until recently.
> One day i turned it on modprobed bttv and started xawtv, the reception was
> very bad, i put it down to the weather. I had it working perfectly in the
> past.
> I receive TV from an analogue aerial on the roof of the house, my neighbours
> asure me this is ok.
> When it worked i was using a Hauppauge WinTV/GO card.

When you started to have reception problems, did you changed something on
the hardware or software of your PC? If you haven't changed the
configuration maybe there's a failure on your aerial system: do you have
a passive antenna system or is amplified?

> If i get a picture on the TV should i get at least the same on my card? The
> picture on the TV is pretty good.

Normally TV sets haven't an earth connection, but PCs normally have.
So is possible that on a TV set you picture looks good, but if you hook a
PC you obtain a 'ground loop' creating a severe distortion.

> Nvidia drivers 3123 built kernel from src rpm and normal GLX rpm.
> What i see on the screen is TV but very noisy, it seems to brighten and then
> darkern quickly when i tune into a channel, there are vertical bars of noise
> running up and down the picture, sometimes the sound cuts out. It sometimes
> looks distorted (skewed) at the top of the screen.

You can try this: with an internal 'rabbit ears' antenna hooked to a TV
set check if you can receive some channels. You can make a quick an dirty
one using a piece of coaxial cable and splitting braid and central wire
for 12-20 cm on one end, and putting a TV connector on the other end.
If you receive some channel put the 'rabbit ears' to your PC and look if
you could tune in the same channels.

If this solved  the problem, you definitively have a problem on your
antenna system.

(BTW I have a WinTV GO model 712/ITA with a Matrox G400 and rabbit ears
and works very well for watching TV)

Mike