Re: Looking for TV card capture software with mpeg 4 support

On 2003-01-14 at 22:14:59 -0600, Carl Swanson <cswanson2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking for Linux TV card capture software that captures
> video in the mpeg 4 compression standard. Any software out there
> us this new compression format?

You could take a look at MPlayer, The mencoder program from that package
can use codecs from ffmeg, libavifile and win32. With my setup, I can
use msmpeg4, divx4/5 and mpeg4 (from libavifile; it seems to be the best
quality as well as the fastest).

I upgraded my kernel and bttv and have some severe problems with duplicate
frames now, but before that, I could capture and encode in real-time MPEG4
from my Pinnacle PCTV Rave with no loss of frames, in up to 768x576 (I did
have to choose only a few encoding options then, but since I always encode
the files at least twice anyway, it didn't matter much).
(this is with an Athlon XP 1800+).

Just make sure you get either MPlayer-0.90rc2 or the CVS version; audio
capture only started to work recently.

http://mplayerhq.hu/

-R.