Release 0.9.1 of the unified zoran driver

Hi all,

(please don't use reply-all (huge CC list) - let's keep discussion on
this on the mjpeg-users mailinglist, thank you)

I've just uploaded version 0.9.1 of the unified zoran driver to the
SourceForge download area. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/mjpeg for
links on where to download it.

*warning* before everyone rushes out to compile it, please note that
it's not a stable release. Quite a lot changed since the release of 0.8,
and nothing really stayed the same. It will need lots of testing. So use
it in whatever way, but don't use it in production systems - it might
crash/hang/whatever! *warning* (off-topic: in case of interest, I can
release a new version of the current HEAD/CVS as driver-zoran-0.8.1).

Okay, so what changed exactly (see ChangeLog for details):
* it uses the new videodev kernel interface
* it uses the new I2C stack
* it supports video4linux2
* introduction of a new videocodec layer
* support for the DC10old (overlay-only, MJPEG is nearly working)
* support for the LML33R10 (new card from LML)
* most changes for the DC30/DC30+ are there too, though I don't have
such a card and can't do much without it. Final support will be added as
soon as I own DC30(+). hopefully, MJPEG capture on the DC10old will then
work too
* card=X insmod option for zoran.o

Basically, compiling & installing should be as simple as "make && make
install && modprobe zoran", if you have a DC10+ or a Buz (these have
subvendor/-device IDs). For the other cards, you'll need to specify the
card=X insmod option. See the FAQ for details. To load the modules from
the install directory, you can still use the update script (though I
don't know exactly whether that still works after the card=X changes).
anyway, only use the update script if you have to. Just use "modprobe
zoran card=X" in any other case.

Now that I told all this, what's my goal exactly? Firstly, I want this
0.9.1 release to become included in 2.5.x, and that requires a basic
amount of testing. Releasing a new driver will let more people actually
use it. So please tell me whether it works (or not), dmesg output, etc.
Also, I'd be delighted if anyone could tell me what the current status
of this thing on LML33 cards is, since none of the developers currently
actively tests on these cards (we don't have such cards). Patches & all
are welcome. Secondly, we've made so many changes lately that it's about
time you all see what got out of this. In short: video4linux2 rocks!

Conclusion: please test it! In case of problems, read the FAQ and/or
send an email to Laurent, me or mjpeg-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks,

Ronald

--