Re: Easiest/Most Complete PVR

On 13 Dec 2002 at 20:45, Michael Stearne wrote:

> Has anyone here built a box and used OpenPVR, MythTV or Freevo?
Yup, currently my system is an Athlon XP1800+, with 2 tuner cards, 384mb of
ram and a 40gb ATA drive dedicated to recording.  I am running mythtv 7 on
this.

The only disadvantage I see to myth is that hardware encoding support just
got into recently so if you have say a Matrox G200 or G400TV it will encode
in hardware, but it will only playback in software. Can't remember if that
was a Matrox driver limitation or a mythtv limitation.

So, if you want to watch live tv (without hardware encoding), at 640x480, you
pretty much need a fast cpu (~1.4ghz minimum) and a fast hard disk. If you
are willing to record at lower resolution, you can get by with a lot less. My
Athlon 800 machine does 352x240 no problem, 480x480 is a bit jerky and
640x480 is unusable.

Another problem is that it uses a modified nuppel video for encoding so that
means you can't playback videos you've saved with myth on other apps like
mplayer and you can't currently transcode them either.  However..... one of
the developers recently released a patch to mplayer that allows playback of
videos in mpeg4 format. Dunno if it works with the rtjpeg format though.

> Are these project ready for stable use?  I don't care about setup
> headaches if I get it working.  The reason I am asking this list is that I was
> looking for an impartial view of the 3 projects.
I can't comment on any of the others as once I got mythtv up and running and
saw how brisk development is, I didn't bother trying anything else.  And yes,
mythtv is ready for use now.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting