Device/Driver Config Advice

I've installed my Pinnacle PCTV, and it seems to auto detect w/o issue. I assume this means the bttv driver is there, especially as I can start xawtv and get a signal. The problem is that the signal is very poor in quality, and I cannot change the channel- no matter what channel I change to and xawtv says it is on, it stays on what would be channel 65 under my normal cable. I've set the xawtv parameters to us-cable, tried pal, secam and every other option, but nothing seems to work for me.

This is probably a basic issue, hopefully easily resolved by someone with more experience than me. (my area is more BSD sys admin, now turned linux home hobbyist)

I'm running a full and fresh install of RH 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-14.

I've also played around with the defaults in .xawtv to no avail. THe person who responded to my original query below indicated that tuner should be set to "tuner=33", but I don't know quite where to set that.

Thank you all for any help you can spare on this.

Jim D.