Parsing writes to /proc entries of V4L devices

I'm working on getting a driver squared away in the 2.5 kernel and some red flags were raised regarding parsing writes to entries in /proc. The cpia and zoran drivers both look like they allow writes to a single entry in /proc and parse the write to see if it is a proper control adjustment. The writes are normally used to alter settings for which V4L has no matching parameter. I copied fairly closely the parsing mechanism from cpia, but many on the usb list felt that any parsing in the kernel space is inappropriate. Greg KH believes a more appropriate method would be to create a directory entry for each device and have one value per file, so:

echo "gain=5" >/proc/video/vicam/video0

becomes

echo "5" >/proc/video/vicam/video0/gain

I have no attachment to either method and am perfectly willing to implement the latter method. I just wanted to see if anybody had strong opinions on the matter.

-Joe