Re: Frame grabbers with bt8x8 chipset

Georgios Kapetanakis wrote:

> You may be right about economies of scale, but would you trust a WinTV card
> for a real-time machine vision application? (and I stress the words 'real
> time')
Well I've worked with the Meteor and WinTv as well as assorted USB
cameras and definitely it's the USB cams that are unreliable and slow.
The grabber cards have never given me problems. I think for real time
you just need a fast computer, since it's the image processing that hogs
the time. The grabber cards can all digitize at top speed, whereas the
USB devices are limited by the USB connection. You might also consider a
firewire camera, since the signal is digital from the start and firewire
cards are cheap (but the cameras aren't). Linux support for firewire
though is still mainly in the future I think. See
http://www.linux1394.org/

/\/\/\/*=Martin