Re: v4l2 api

>  I like this. Much better than using S_FMT to negotiate sizes, since that
>  causes the hardware to change sizes (which can take a second or two with
>  some devices).

Good point, didn't know that changing formats might be _that_ expencive.

>  There's one thing that confuses me though... if the idea here is that
>  available sizes may depend on factors such as pixel format (which is the
>  case with some USB cams), how does the driver know what format the app
>  calling VIDIOC_CHECK_SIZE wants?

Add pixelformat to struct v4l2_check_size?

> There are width and height fields in
>  v4l2_pix_format, which kind of nullifies the value of VIDIOC_CHECK_SIZE
>  in that situation.
>
>  Would it be possible to remove width/height from v4l2_pix_format?

How do you set the image size then?  v4l2_check_size just checks what
the hardware could do, it doesn't actually change the driver settings

>  One
>  thing about V4L1 that always bothered me was that different structs
>  contained some of the same fields (eg. video_mmap.format and
>  video_picture.palette). I had to add extra checks to VIDIOCSPICT in my
>  driver, so that setting brightness wouldn't reset the format registers
>  every time.

Yes.  video_mmap was more or less a quick hack ...

  Gerd

--
You can't please everybody.  And usually if you _try_ to please
everybody, the end result is one big mess.