Re: Re: v4l2 api

On 15 Oct 2002, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> >  If I have an application like xawtv and I want to set the WM
> >  properies on the X window so that the window can be resized between
> >  the min/max size the hardware supports, how would I do this?
>
> Don't do that (IMHO).  You can't assume that the hardware can freely
> scale between given min and max sizes.  Most usb cams have a few fixed
> sizes they can handle for example.

What would you do? make the window unresizeable?  That's hardly very usable.

Anyway to get this information about what fixed sizes a card supports, other
than some kind of guessing game?  X window managers don't support the general
concept of a few fixed sizes for a window anyway, so it wouldn't be that
useful.

> >  Any chance of getting aspect ratio information, so that window
> >  resizes can be contrained that way too?
>
> Anything missing in v4l2_cropcap?

Is there any information on v4l2_cropcap?  The v4l2 document on thedirks.org
just says:

Still to come....

I see a "pixelaspect" in the v4l2 header file, but the name alone doesn't make
it clear how it's used.