Re: v4l2 api

On 9 Oct 2002, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 17:08, Miah Gregory wrote:

> > Any thoughts on whether any jpeg formats should be added to the list of
> > acceptable formats?

> The zoran card simply lists MJPEG as one of the allowed formats,
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG (fourcc 'MJPG'). Shouldn't these things do that too?
> I mean, come on, JPEG decompression in the kernel... That's userspace
> stuff, really... Maybe you want to add another one, 'JPEG'
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_JPEG, if it's not YUY2 MJPEG.

Yes exactly; it's userspace stuff, and has no place in the kernel.

> > The reason I ask is that it seems a little over the top to include jpeg
> > decompression within a kernel module, but without that, many userspace
> > applications won't be able to use the data.

> If there's that many cards that do this, simply adapt the applications
> to decode V4L2_PIX_FMT_(M)JPEG jpeg data, the authors will thankfully
> accept such patches.

Not so much cards, as usb cameras.

> JPEG decoding is not something Alan will want to see in the kernel tree.
> If I recall correctly, he even removed colorspace conversion code from
> the Philips webcam driver.

Interesting, although I guess that makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see
the spca50x driver make it into the kernel, but there's a fair amount of
work that needs done before that will become a possibility.

Is the v4l2 specification available online anywhere?

Thanks.

--
Miah Gregory