Re: v4l2 api

Hello Gerd and others,

as the driver author for the very popular "Multimedia eXtension Board"
(http://www.mihu.de/linux)
with it's incredible user base of about 10(!) users ;-)
I am really looking forward for your changes.

Because I won't have the time to comment on your suggestions in detail before the weekend, here are some quick notes:

First off, I would like to thank you and Michael for the work you have done so far. You changes are necessary and I can live with the broken binary compatiblity, because I have shipped a custom v4l2 version with my driver anyway.

Please keep in mind the halloween future freeze for 2.6.x that Linus has annonced on lkml lately. Perhaps you should submit an early patch to get a foot in the door, even if the interface is not in 100% perfect shape. You will most likely have time until the end of the year to submit patches until 2.6.x really comes out.

I think v4l2 should make it definately into 2.6.x ...

On lkml at least one person (VANDROVE@xxxxxxxxxx) has asked for v4l2 in 2.6.x. I'll attach the mail for you convenience. Perhaps you should contact him as well directly.

CU
Michael.
--- Begin Message ---
On  1 Oct 02 at 0:32, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> And a small reminder that we're now officially in the last month of
> features, and since I'm going to be away basically the last week of
> October, so I actually personally consider Oct 20th to be the drop-date,
> unless you've got a really good and scary costume.. So don't try to leave
> it to the last day.

Gerd,
  do you have any plans for V4L2 being in 2.6 or not? There is still
sitting patch which allows you to control hue/brightness/saturation/contrast
on matroxfb's TVOut in my tree, waiting for V4L2 API defines.
Should I send current patch (which defines matroxfb_queryctrl,
matroxfb_ctrl_type, MATROXFB_CID_*... binary compatible with its
video4linux2 counterparts), or should I wait?

  I'd like to have this extension in matroxfb before 2.6, as G450's
and G550's TVOuts differ from piece to piece, and default setting
does not fit for everyone...
                                        Petr Vandrovec
                                        vandrove@xxxxxxxxxx

-