Re: RE: [V4L] V4L2 on Redhat Linux 8.0

Hi,

It works fine, just don't use a Redhat kernel. Download a pristine Linus' tree
from kernel.org, apply patches, and off you go.

The redhat kernel has all kinds of lovely patches for stability etc... which,
while nice, thoroughly break the v4l2 patches.

I've been doing that for 2.4.18 and 2.4.19, and the kernel
builds correctly, although the modules end up in a funny place.
I would expect them to go into /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/media/video but they actually get put into /lib/modules/2.4.19/v4l2. Strange, but depmod
finds them OK, and modprobe works.

unfortunately, the machine then hangs solid. well the kernel build is clean :-)

Pablo Rodr406ez wrote:

   Hi! i've tried it. I have RedHat 7.1 and you are right, it's impossible
(at least for me) :-) to build videodevX module. 'Make' creates the object
files but doesn't install in the especified path and when i write 'make
install' it answers something about unresolved symbols and errors with the
commmands 'cp' and 'mv'. I try to rewrite the Make's path but it doesn't
run. I think that recompiling kernel it's a possibility but...i don't know.

   Tomorrow i'll try to build module under Debian distribution, perhaps,
the kernel could be configurated in other way and i could build it, ¿? who
knows...
Well, if someone can do it, please, send us the way! Bye