Re: [Mjpeg-developer] lavrec: Audio makes video choppy

On 20-Sep-2002 Bob McElrath wrote:
|    Ralf Oehler [R.Oehler@xxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
|   > Hello, List.
|   >
|   > I managed to record a video from TV to disk with lavrec now.
|   > Works.
|   > Only one stain left: When I record without sound, I get no
|   > lost/deletet/inserted frames at all. Great.
|   > When I record sound, too, I get inserted frames. (20-30 frames per
|   > 10
|   > seconds) Every few seconds, without rhythm, the record-time-display
|   > stops
|   > for a few frames, then continues. A few tenths of a second the
|   > inserted-frames-count increases a few frames. When playing the video
|   > with
|   > lavplay or mplayer the video jumps at theese places.
|
|    And when you record without sound it plays ok too?  No skips?
Perfect video if no sound. (at least over the 30 seconds I tried)

|    Mjpeg folks: do we look for vblank interrupts when doing software
|    encoding?  I know NuppelVideo was hacked up to somehow get
|    frame-accurate info out of bttv cards.  Do we do that too?  If not,
|    this
|    is meaningless since sync info is only generated when there is audio
|    present.  (and this would be a nice feature to add)
|
|   > The effect occures with the same strength with OSS, with ALSA, and
|   > independently of sample rate/width.
|   >
|   > Hardware: K6-III/450, 512MB, WinTV-GO(bt878), SB128(es1371)
|   > CPU-Load while recording is never higher than 50%
|
|    Can you reliably record audio-only with a tool like 'record'?
Yes. I digitized many hours of music cassettes via this sound card without
any problem. And the audio output of WinTV is only another analog input for
the soundcard.

|    Your CPU is probably barely able to handle this.  On my computer the
|    driver uses up a lot of CPU so I see around 50% load, but this is
|    meaningless since the driver uses the other 50%.  (600 MHz alpha, was
But xosview does NOT show 50 "red" percents for system activity.
And "top" shows 50% idle. So I think the driver does not use the remaining
50%, or am I wrong?
|    on
|    the market about the same time as yours, but is probably a bit
|    faster...i remember deciding between the K6-III and the alpha)
|
|    Cheers,
|    -- Bob

|  Ralf Oehler
|
|  GDA - Gesellschaft fuer Digitale                              _/
|        Archivierungstechnik mbH & CoKG                        _/
|  Ein Unternehmen der Bechtle AG               #/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
|  E-Mail:      R.Oehler@xxxxxxxxxx           _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/
|  Fax.:        +49 6182-25035                    _/
|  Mail:        GDA, Bensbruchstraße 11,   _/_/_/_/
|               D-63533 Mainhausen
|  HTTP:        www.GDAmbH.com

time is a funny concept