Re: Multiplexing multiple video inputs

>   From: v4l@xxxxxxx
>
>>  This is slightly off topic and should maybe
>>  be private and I may have missed some pertinent
>>  post but why are you doing this?
>>
>>  Those specs are sort of massively {insanely}
>>  impressive and all but what's the point of so
>>  many streams and so much hardware if you're not
>>  running a full {fairly large} studio from one
>>  computer?
>>
>>  I guess what I'm asking is "why"? Are you
>>  actually trying to edit 6 streams at once?
>>  Maybe streaming them back out? Do you just
>>  have a lot of stuff to capture?
>>
>I agree about the 'offtopicness' of this subject, and also proposed starting
>an private thread already.

 Let's see if we can bring it back on topic a bit.

>But let me answer your question : I'm building a low-cost security-camera
>system that records 6 streams at low fps (+- 4 fps per camera) permanently,
>and can be triggered to write recordings from -5 before to +5 minutes after
>the trigger to mpg files for later retrieval.

 You're actually storing 6 720x568 streams at 25 frames with a p3/466
 as you said in your last post? {Or is that "total" the total of all
 cameras?}

 What are you capturing to?
 How many drives?
 How are you mpeging stuff?
 {How is it cached... or do you have a huge amount of memory?}
 How are the drives configured?
 Why 720x568?

 {Sorry if this seems a bit nosey... I'd sort of like to be
 able to run 4 cameras but at at least 25 frames and 720x480.}