Re: Multiplexing multiple video inputs

Hi everybody,

A few days ago I posted a mail here asking for comments on fast video signal
switching for recording multiple video signals with only one framegrabber. I
didn't receive any replies on the list, but I got some private mail with
some very usefull tips.

The results up to now are very promising : using a simple 4 to 1 switch I
can get a framerate of 6.5 fps with 4 cameras; so that's the full 25 fps of
the PAL signal, no frames lost ! Realtime encoding of these 4 streams to
MPEG is also working on a P466, so everything seems to be working. If
anybody is interested in the actual implementation and details, send me a
private mail...

The only problem with this setup is that it requires cameras that are all
synced to the same VSYNC. This is not really practical, since not all
cameras support this (especially the cheaper ones don't), and it requires
extra wiring. To work around this problem I'm looking for a simple and cheap
solution to get the incoming signals all synced to the same VSYNC. I'm
pretty sure this can be done by 'intelligent' delaying of the composite
signals, though it wouldn't be really cheap because of the quite large
amount of memory needed to store the delayed frame.

Is anyone here familiar with a 'standard' solution for doing this, or maybe
a chipset that is capable of doing this ? I know this isn't the best list to
ask this question, so if anybody knows a better place to ask, please let me
know...

Regards,

/Ico