General arch question

Hello people,

I am brand new to this list and have been lurking
for a while. My eventual goal is to make a
lightweight (on the CPU) system that allows me to
plug in multiple tuners, players etc and play
them all over my apt :-)

So, I have been trying to understand the
architecture of the TV/media infrastructure for
linux (far more familiar with these things for
IRIX) and so far I see that the control flow is

App --X --> Xserver { Xvideo    { v4l mod |
BTTV
     proto           manages              |driver
                  window lists            |
                  and screen to { XAA mod | gfx
                  device mapping          |driver

if my notation is discernible.

Now, what I am having problems understanding is
the data flow model (at least has not been
obvious to me) .. who creates the DMA buffers ?
does the app create buffers and inform the BTTV
driver of the pointer and get frame information
that is then pushed to screen thru the Xserver ?
or does the Xserver create the buffers and then
to a PutImage into the gfx device ? etc etc

If I am totally off the mark, many apologies, and
if I am close, if someone could speed me along in
my understanding I would really appreciate it.

Thanx