running multiple copies of xawtv

Hello,

I've recently been working on a Linux system with two video input
cards, both of which now have a v4l driver.  I can get each of them
to work independently without a problem.  However, when I try to
run both of them at the same time, the one I start first works
fine, but the one I start second doesn't.

Running xawtv for the first device runs fine:
	% ln -s .xawtv-wintv .xawtv
	% xawtv
	This is xawtv-3.73, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-3smp)
	WARNING: Your X-Server has no DGA support.
	seteuid(root): Operation not permitted
	v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway

and I now get an image, and can change channels/inputs just fine.

Running xawtv for the second device results in the following
messages:
	% rm .xawtv
	% ln -s .xawtv-lml33 .xawtv
	% xawtv -c /dev/video1
	This is xawtv-3.73, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-3smp)
	WARNING: Your X-Server has no DGA support.
	seteuid(root): Operation not permitted
	v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
	ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,Composite,flags=0x0,type=2,norm=2): Operation not supported
	WARNING: v4l and x11 disagree about the screen size
	WARNING: Is v4l-conf installed correctly?
	WARNING: v4l and x11 disagree about the color depth
	WARNING: fbuf.depth=0, x11 depth=32
	WARNING: Is v4l-conf installed correctly?
	WARNING: overlay mode disabled

and a blank screen.

In this case, the two video cards are different models.  One is an
LML-33, the other a WinTV Theater.  I don't have a machine with
two of the same card to determine whether this makes any difference
(perhaps someone else knows).  I did try starting the cards in
the opposite order as well, with the result that the lml33 card
worked, and the wintv card gave a blank (black) screen.

And, I almost forgot to mention: I'm running a basic RedHat7.3
installation (kernel 2.4.18-3) on a dual Athelon machine with
of course the two video boards.  I just compiled the "cvs-latest"
zoran driver from the www.cicese.mx/~mirsev/Linux/DC10plus
webpage -- this is more recent than the 0.8 driver on mjpeg.sf.net.

Has anyone had any experience positive or negative with multiple
cards in the same machine?  (The installation does make 4 video
devices as /dev/video{0-3} afterall.)

Also, as may be obvious from above, it would be really nice if
xawtv and other v4l tools could allow one to specify the name
of the config file as a command line argument (or an environment
variable, or even better by automatically detecting the type of
device and appending it to the config file name).  I may contribute
this myself at some point, but right now my task is to get them
working.

	Thanks for any hints and other help,
	Bill

/* Bill Sherman  (wsherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)                                */
/* National Center for Supercomputing Applications                       */
/* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                            */
/*     Og - "You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes" */
/*  Spinner - "but facts don't always reveal the truth"                  */
/*      Robin - "Yeah, but I always figure that's the writers' fault"    */