Re: Oddities in 0.8.45

> > What means "seems to happen with any version of bttv"?  There are a few
> > known buggy ones between 0.8.33 + 0.8.45 (0.8.34+5 for example, see the
> > changelog).  Which versions exactly did you test?  Which kernel?  Please
> > don't switch *both* kernel+bttv versions, better use the old 2.4.17 with
> > current bttv drivers for debugging this one.
>

>  well, I started seeing this happen with 0.8.34 on the same kernel version

0.8.34 is known buggy.  0.8.44 should do well.  0.8.45 too in theory,
but there are a number of mm changes which didn't got that much testing
so far ...

>  Ive also run 0.8.33 on newer kernels with no problem.

Hmm, ok.

> > Does this happen without btaudio too?
>
>  no, not that I see.   Running with all debuging that I can find turned on, all
>  I see are btaudio: buffer overrun.

Hmm, maybe the error path in btaudio is buggy, althrougth I can't see
any obvious on a first quick check of the code ...

>  here is a little more logging of what it
>  looks like right before a crash:

> [ snip ]

looks like normal operation.

> > >  2-When unloading the bttv modules I sometimes get the following panic.
> > >  Ive included ksymoops from 2 occurences below, this is very easy to
> > > reproduce, so if you want more info I would be happy to send it:
> >
> > Yes:  How exactly this can be reproduced?  I havn't seen rmmod oopses for
> > a long time.
>
>  This is strange, but yesterday I was able to reproduce this with a script that
>  basicly did:
>  killall `pidof mp1e`
>  rmmod bttv btaudio tuner msp3400 video-buf
>  and it would crash almost everytime time as long as the machine was running
>  for a few minutes atleast, today when trying to troubleshoot I cant get this
>  crash to happen.    Could it have anything to do with the type of video im
>  working with?   I will keep trying to duplicate this problems again.

Can you try that with rmmoding bttv+video-buf and btaudio separately?
I'd like to know which of the two causes the oops.

  Gerd

--
You can't please everybody.  And usually if you _try_ to please
everybody, the end result is one big mess.