Re: Oddities in 0.8.45

Jon Hittner wrote:
>  Hi,
>     After upgrading from 2.4.17 running 0.8.33 to 2.4.20pre2 running 0.8.45 Ive
>  started seeing the following 2 problems that I did not see before. There are
>  5 capture cards in the machine and the machine is a Dell GX400 with an Intel
>  PIIX motherboard.   Ive tried several different module options like
>  latency,vsfx,triton1 and none seem to have any affect.
>
>  1- After running for several hours the machine will reboot itself (this
>  machine is NOT set to reboot on panics).  This problem seems to happen with
>  any version of bttv after 0.8.33, but ive never seen it happen with a prior
>  version.

What means "seems to happen with any version of bttv"?  There are a few
known buggy ones between 0.8.33 + 0.8.45 (0.8.34+5 for example, see the
changelog).  Which versions exactly did you test?  Which kernel?  Please
don't switch *both* kernel+bttv versions, better use the old 2.4.17 with
current bttv drivers for debugging this one.

>  Sometimes there is no messages on the console and sometimes there
>  are messages like the following:
>  btaudio: buffer overrun
>   OFLOW HLOCK VPRES RISCI
>  bttv2: timeout: risc=065e201c, bits: VSYNC HSYNC OFLOW HLOCK VPRES RISCI
>   <6>bttv1: timeout: risc=0663201c, bits: VSYNC HSYNC OFLOW HLOCK VPRES RISCI
>  bttv0: timeout: risc=066d101c, bits: VSYNC HSYNC OFLOW HLOCK VPRES RISCI

Hmm, multiple bttv cards running in timeouts at the same time.  Looks
like some problem with the PCI bus ...

Does this happen without btaudio too?

>  2-When unloading the bttv modules I sometimes get the following panic.  Ive
>  included ksymoops from 2 occurences below, this is very easy to reproduce, so
>  if you want more info I would be happy to send it:

Yes:  How exactly this can be reproduced?  I havn't seen rmmod oopses for
a long time.

  Gerd

--
You can't please everybody.  And usually if you _try_ to please
everybody, the end result is one big mess.