Re: get MSP3410 to work on AverMedia TVCapture98

zzzhong wrote:

> This board is sold with a Nicam decoder daughter board in my area.  The
> Nicam processor is the standard MSP3410D-B4.  But i can't get *any* sound in
> bttv app, and also most windows app, except the original wdm/vfw application
> come from the card, that it can perfectly switch between Mono/Stereo/FM
> sound.
>
> To get sound working, I have to remove the daughter board and place jumpers
> to bypass the sound module circuit.  Of course there is no Nicam stereo
> function.
>
> I notice that MSP34xx chip is always assumpted to be at I2C 0x80.  However,
> when insmod bttv, it scans the I2C bus, and said it can't found that at
> 0x80.
>
> I've tried card=6 (Aver TVPhone), card=12 (Aver TVCapture98, the autodetect
> value) and card=41 (AverTVPhone98) options for insmod bttv, and modprobe
> msp3400, no luck.
>
> a scanning of BT848 I2C bus by ./detect found an eeprom at 0xa0, ??? at
> 0xa2 - 0xae (what is this?), and tuner at 0xc2.  nothing more
>
> So, where does the chip go?  Seems there's no way to interface the chip.

For some cards the MSP chip is held disabled until you toggle some gpio.

See bttv-driver.c:boot_msp34xx for this :
 * reset/enable the MSP on some Hauppauge cards
 * Hauppauge:  pin  5
 * Voodoo:     pin 20

Try pin 0-23 until the chip is "./detect"ed (or trace pcb lines).

-
Gunther