Re: Whole bunch of problems with framebuffers

Stephen Davies wrote:
> I'm pretty familiar with all this for the Voodoo3 card, which uses a bt869
> chip to do the TV out.

  I may just buy a different card on a local newsgroup. I saw
a Voodoo3 today.

> Of course, its necessary to use "just the right" X modeline.

  Can you send me "just the right" X Modeline? See below...

  Here's where I stand now, which is a hell of a lot better
and almost perfect, but not quite.

  Right now, everything works to the vesa framebuffer.

  Xawtv with DGA in XFree with the framebuffer is plenty
fast enough.

  Mplayer outputting to the framebuffer works fine and is
fast enough for my 352x240 video. (I preferred xine for it's
improved lirc interface but Xine to the framebuffer wasn't
fast enough)

  I solved one of the problems I did have. Mplayer goes to
a 352x240 mode, X runs in 640x480. I used to have problems that
mplayer closing would leave the framebuffer screwed up and
the screen blank, but that was solved by waiting 1 second
after closing mplayer before starting xawtv again. Something
to do with the mode switching I suspect.

  (why do I keep solving problems with sleeps? You might recall
my system would lock up solid if I tried to switch video
inputs and PAL->NTSC without pausing a few seconds in between)

  So right now, in a way, everything is working and the system
is usable on the TV.

  The only downside is that I can only get it working with
the VESA framebuffer. This works fine but it doesn't let me
tune the timings with fbset so I have a black border all the
way around the screen. A little annoying on TV.

  If I switch to the ati FB (card is 3DrageII+) then the timings
are all off and the screen doesn't sync up. I tried fiddling
with fbset timings and could change the look of the gibberish so
it was doing SOMETHING, but I couldn't make any sensible picture and had
to go back to VESA.

  So if I could get my timings figured out for the ATI
framebuffer then my problems would be over, I can work with
this.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx