Re: What am I doing wrong? IBMCAM not found

Quoting Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In my case, video4linux support is compiled as a module.
> What I do is to run a script ./quickcam.sh to load the modules. Should I
> instead compile the support into the kernel ?

Typically, it is better to compile drivers as modules. You want monolithic
kernel only in embedded configurations, where there is no filesystem. Your
way of loading modules (a script) is as good as any other.

If you have the problem with unavailable /dev/video then I guess you
should troubleshoot it as Steven did, and also you should email someone on
quickcam team - I have no knowledge of that driver.

> [root@waheguru /root]# cat < /dev/video0 > /dev/null
> bash: /dev/video0: No such device
> [root@waheguru /root]#

The camera driver is not loaded or hasn't picked up your camera. Look at
/proc/bus/usb/devices and at /var/log/messages. You need help from a
quickcam developer from that point on.

> I must draw your attention to the fact that my /dev/video is a directory
> (something I have not seen in any of HOWTO's , etc. on the net) :

Interesting indeed... I don't know why this is so, and what devices are in
it. You still can use /dev/video0 etc.

Dmitri

--
Microsoft: "Do you know where your data went today?"