Re: Is this the list to discuss the vcr project?

Stan Brown wrote:

I am going to try to build this this weekend. I'm building on a Debian
potato + Progeny updates + 2.4 kernel machine, if that maters.

I'v downloaded the divx4linux shared libraries (as binaries of course) and
run there install script, so that should be OK.

I've downloaded built and installed avfile 0.53.5, which I've already
compiled some other programs against.

Next seems to be the Quicktime4Linux seems to be the next item on your list
of dependencies, and there I'm confused. If I follow the link from your
page, I wind up on herionwarrior.com/quicktime. This page does not appear
to ahve a download link. It saya thatt this project has been suplanted by
OpenQuicktime, but it's also got a link to a sourceforge page. Poking
around there I found quicktime4linux-1.4.tar.gz. When I unpack this there
is not "tools" subdirectory as mention on your page. I can configure (boy
it doesn't do much) and make this, but I'm not certain ths is the package
you are refering to. I did use your install.sh to install, what i hope is the correct stuff here.

NVrec-xxxxxxxx/tools/install.sh

I've already got mp1e compiled and working, so I am assuming that I have
the librte library.

No - these are separate packages.

I downloaded ffmpeg 0.4.5, did a configure, and a make, and created the
symlink.

[justin@thrain justin/NVrec-20011120/]$ ln -s ~justin/ffmpeg-0.4.5 ffmpeg ?

This _should_ work without any problems (note - the symlink does not contain the version number - perhaps this is the problem.

At this point in time configure tole me I was missing:

librte, ffmpeg, sdl, and mad.
The later 2 make sense, since I had not gotten them, since I don _think_ I
need streaming support, since all I want to do is record locally, right.

That is correct.

So, I then went make to the zapping page, looked around, but could not find
a librte. I did find rte 0.4, so I downlaoded this, did configure ; make ;
make insatll, all of which went fin. The I went pack and reran configure in
the nvrec tree rerans it, and it told me I still did not have librte. So I
removed config.cahce, and reran configre. This cleared up the complaint
about missing librte. So I went back and looked at the ffmpeg, retried the
make, and found out it wwas dying because I did not have nasm installed. So
I used dselect to grab that.
Wnet back to the nverc tree, and tried rm'ing config.cahce again. This time
the only complaints I got were about the streaming suport libs.

At this point, I decide, what the heck, and decided to also build in
streaming support. Downloaded SDL , did a configure ; make ; make install.
All went well.

Downloaded mad 0.14b, did a configure ;  make ; make install. All went well

Went back to the nverec tree, rm' config.caceh,  configure, ah good no
complaints this time.  OK time for the biggie make! BUMMER! a build error!

I'm going to include the entire output of thta make, in the hope that it
will tell you what I am doing wrong.

Script started on Sat Dec  1 10:35:07 2001
[9;0]yogi:/usr/local/src/pd/nvrec/NVrec-20011122# make

/usr/local/include/rte.h:209: parse error before `off64_t'
/usr/local/include/rte.h:211: `off64_t' declared as function returning a function
/usr/local/include/rte.h:326: parse error before `rteSeekCallback'
make[1]: *** [rtefile_core.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pd/nvrec/NVrec-20011122'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
yogi:/usr/local/src/pd/nvrec/NVrec-20011122# Script done on Sat Dec 1 10:36:16 2001

Looks to me like there is a problem with librte's includes? at least as
expected by your code?

OK - it looks like there is a new librte release. NVrec currently only works with librte-0.3.1 - I will upgrade to the new librte release in the course of the week.

-justin