Re: Sugestions on how to use mp1e for vcr like recording?

On Tue Nov 27 16:37:27 2001 t . wrote...

>On 2001.11.27 06:40 Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 08:51:21AM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't see any on-topic list for homebrew PVR projects.
>> > Shall we create one?
>>
>> I was thinking of more than just a list.  I was thinking of starting a
>> sourceforge project for an open pvr.  Some place that brings together
>> all of this knowledge that we have gathered in capping and playing
>> would be nice.
>>

>Are you thinking of something like
>http://freshmeat.net/projects/apachetoolbox/
>which is a set of scripts+patches(?) that use wget or similar to
>grab everthing and compile it correctly with patches and add in
>spiffy wrapper scripts that people on the list seem to have done
>for themselves?

THat sounds like the right aproach to me. What can I do to help?

>The point is that no one seems to realize the scope of the problem
>or vastly underestimates the amount of effort required. So, if you
>are really serious about making this project work, what is the plan?

First, eveullate whats out there, and what the depedncies for each of the
canidate packages.

Second test and get at least on set (preferably several prmutations)
working.

Third document what you have, and how to replicate it.

Fourth do the "project wrapper" you describe above.

>I would think a list of all the possible various pieces (even the
>crappy ones) would need to be made first, with annotations detailing
>the current functionality, which interface it uses, known problems/work
>arounds, etc... otherwise how can you hope to solve the problem?

Good start.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@xxxxxxxx                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.