Re: jerky/choppy video recording

Roger said:

> (i've sent a copy of this to gerd already)
>
> ok. i've been doing video capture with xawtv for the past week.
> I'm still getting 'choppy/jerky' recording!  yuk!

> My system specs:
> Mandrake 8.1
> 2x750 P3
> 256MB
> Nvidia 32MB Geforce DDR w/ nvidia's drivers
> PCTV
> xawtv-*3.64-1mdk
> kernel-smp-2.4.13-4mdk (cooker kernel of 2.4.13smp - rebuilt on
> this i686 arch for speed)

maybe xawtv isn't so hot at video capture. i personally
use the qt-based capture program from
avifile(http://avifile.sourceforge.net) and encode my videoto DiVx 4.0. im most intersted in maximal disk savings. i
encode at 320x240 with 8bit mono sound 11khz, average about
90kB/second for the stream(sound+video). or ~300-350MB per
hour of video.

running:
AMD Athlon 1300mhz
debian 3.0(woody)
768MB pc 133
nvidia geforce2 MX 64MB w/nvidia's drivers
xfree86 4.1.0
hauppauge wintv PCI
linux 2.2.19 with the ide patch

as you can imagine, a 90kB/s stream of video is nothing
for the disk so the light is almost never on .. quality
is quite good. it can be a pain to try to sync the audio/video
on playback(divx players have this option or at least they
should). but for me its a small price to pay to cut the video
down to that size. avifile supports a bunch of other encoding
formats not just divx 4, so if you try it you could try
various formats. cpu hovers 15-30% oh i also capture in
24fps, rarely drops a frame but i have to be very
careful with the system, i shut down as much stuff as i can
to reduce cpu usage(and cpu spikes), i don't move the mouse
cursor while recording, and it drops maybe 10 frames
per 30minutes of video(~43,200 frames ?)
i also disable opengl while recording it seems to help
keep framerates up. running afterstep. i would imagine gnome
or kde if your using those has tons of little things going
that could cause a cpu to spike for a millisecond causing
a dropped frame. i even shut off my wharf which has stuff
like clock, cpu/memory meters etc. because i can't touch
my system during encoding(i keep the mouse cursor over
the "stop" button to stop recording so i can just click instead
of move it) i keep my laptop next to my system so i can
use it to do normal things.

nate