Re: Is this the list to discuss the vcr project?

So this weekend I took a shot at geting vcr to work. I was unable to build
1.09 as the avfile snapshot downloaded from thier web page would not build
for me. As I recall, even after I ran the included autogen.sh script
configure still complained about missing files.

Haven't lpayed with avifile for a while, so I don't know what is wrong here.

So I wound up building 1.08. I was able to make this work, failry well.
That is using the DivX :-) low-motion codec and a resolutin of 384, I am
able to record. It dorps about 1 frame every 2 two to 5 seconds in capture.

I didn't worry a whole lot about this, since I am buying the parts to build
a gaster machine (1.2G Athalon) to actully deploy this, and I assume this
will at least take care of the droped frams.

A lot of what I want to record is fast motion (auto races), so I tried to
get the DivX :-) fast motion codec workign. Acording to the vcr web page,
this should work although the bitrate atribute can't be used.

Waiting for video thread
All threads exited
v4l1: VIDIOCSYNC in ::~v4l1if
stan@yogi:/tmp$ Script done on Sun Nov 25 17:29:01 2001

Has anyone made this, or any other codec other than DivX :-) low-motion
work?

Don't know - it looks like you do not have the codec installed, or the directory is incorrect? (The fast motion codec worked fine for me, but under different software.)

Now on to playing. I decided to try mplayer, since it supports framebuffer.

However I was unable to get it to scale the resultant save files up to the
size I'm used to seeing them in fbtv.

Do I need to define a special mode for the framebuffer like i did for fbtv?
If so, can anyone send me a sample config?

The closet I have come so far to getting what I wanted here was to use -vo
xv, and scale the resultant window to full screen manualy, in X. There must
be a better way to do this, right?

mplayer uses hardware scaling when it is available - which is for "-vo x11", and some cards with the fb driver (I am not sure which though). I use "-vo xv -fs" to view full screen using hardware stretching.

PS. I understand that what I _really_ need to make this work is hardware
MPEG encoding. The WinTV PVR vard seems to have this. Is anyone aware of a
way to use this under Linux?

Hardware compression isn't really required these days - especially not on a dedicated box. I have recorded a F1 race quite satisfactorily on my 600MHz Athlon using software compression.

-justin