Re: Is this the list to discuss the vcr project?

On Mon Nov 26 04:47:45 2001 Justin Schoeman wrote...

>Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> I've discovered a wonderful procet called vcr at www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr
>>
>> I've beeen playing around with this, and Mplayer all weekend trying to set
>> up my Linux system to do useful video recording.
>>
>> I'm close, but need to discuss a few details with people more experience
>> than I in this area.
>>
>> I looked at that web site, but did not find a mailing list for it.
>>
>> Is this list an aporopriate place to discuss this? If not can anyone sugest
>> a more appropriate place?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

>This isn't _really_ the appropriate place, but a large number of people
>on the list would be interested, and nobody has complained so far (at
>least not too vocally) - so it would probably be OK to post to this list.

OK thnaks.

I spent the weekend prototyping a way to get as close to TVIO functionality
as I could Here is what I prototyped on Athalon 750MHZ 256M memeory, a
single 40G 7200 RPM IDE drive, and a WinTV card.

OS is Debian potato (stable) + Progeny upgrades, + 2.4.3 kernel.

The WinTV card works very well using xawtv, abd fbtv. I prefer to use fbtv
to watch TV on because of it's unclutered look.

So this weekend I took a shot at geting vcr to work. I was unable to build
1.09 as the avfile snapshot downloaded from thier web page would not build
for me. As I recall, even after I ran the included autogen.sh script
configure still complained about missing files.

So I wound up building 1.08. I was able to make this work, failry well.
That is using the DivX :-) low-motion codec and a resolutin of 384, I am
able to record. It dorps about 1 frame every 2 two to 5 seconds in capture.

I didn't worry a whole lot about this, since I am buying the parts to build
a gaster machine (1.2G Athalon) to actully deploy this, and I assume this
will at least take care of the droped frams.

A lot of what I want to record is fast motion (auto races), so I tried to
get the DivX :-) fast motion codec workign. Acording to the vcr web page,
this should work although the bitrate atribute can't be used.

When I commented out the atribute line in ~/vcrrc, and changed the codec,
iot did not work. I got this:

Script started on Sun Nov 25 17:28:42 2001
stan@yogi:/tmp$ vcr -t2m test.avi
Available CPU flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
748.58 MHz AMD Athlon(tm) Processor processor detected

VCR 1.08, (C) 2001 Bram Avontuur (bram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
[NOTICE]  Setting mp3 bitrate to 24000.
[NOTICE]  Found codec ID: 878070084

 Filename: test.avi
    Video: codec: DivX ;-) fast-motion, quality: 100
                  Default attributes will be used.
           time : 120 s, fps: 29.97, keyframes: 10
           size : 384x288 (WxH)
    Audio: codec: MP3 @ 192 kbps
      Out: 44 kHz, 16 bits (stereo)

Starting to record...type q+enter to quit.
Audiocodec: 85, bitrate: 24000
window: 0 384 0 288
Starting video capture thread.
Opening dsp....
Dsp opened!
1024
Dsp configuration set.
Starting writer thread.
Creating AVI file..
Adding video stream.
Set capture parameters.
Win32 loader: FATAL: Could not load library
VideoEncoder: FATAL: Unknown codec 34564944 = 'DIV4'!
@@D@@|@@�@@�@@�@@ A@hA@�A@�A@�A@�V@lW@ X@PX@tX@�X@q
Capture thread exiting
Sun Nov 25 17:28:45 2001
Dropped 4 frame(s) in capture
Captured 5 frames.
	Frames dropped in capture: 4 (80.0%)
	Frames dropped in encoder: 0 (0.0%)
Exiting..
Waiting for write thread
Waiting for audio thread
Waiting for video thread
All threads exited
v4l1: VIDIOCSYNC in ::~v4l1if
stan@yogi:/tmp$
Script done on Sun Nov 25 17:29:01 2001

Has anyone made this, or any other codec other than DivX :-) low-motion
work?

Now on to playing. I decided to try mplayer, since it supports framebuffer.

However I was unable to get it to scale the resultant save files up to the
size I'm used to seeing them in fbtv.

Do I need to define a special mode for the framebuffer like i did for fbtv?
If so, can anyone send me a sample config?

The closet I have come so far to getting what I wanted here was to use -vo
xv, and scale the resultant window to full screen manualy, in X. There must
be a better way to do this, right?

Now for the auto recording time setup. i tried to get webvcr working, but
so far I have not managed to get php4 integrated proerly with my apache
installation. However I recieved an email stating that I should not bother
as it only understans Europian chanels. Is this correct? Has anyone hacke
it to work with US chanels? Is anyone aware of a sollution that does work
for US chanels?

Thanks for taking time to read through this long tirade. Any sugestions as
to how to proced will be appreciated.

PS. I understand that what I _really_ need to make this work is hardware
MPEG encoding. The WinTV PVR vard seems to have this. Is anyone aware of a
way to use this under Linux?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@xxxxxxxx                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.