Re: captured video is "jerky"

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 04:15:05PM -0700, Donna. wrote:

I dunno what you're downloading from a.b.m., but the stuff I downloaded
from the Babylon 5 group is, although fairly good, nowhere near as
good as what I'm capturing with my DC10+ and zoran/mjpegtools.

That is a hardware compression device right?

Sorry I can't be more help, but I did want to let you know that quality IS possible.

I wish I could glean more from your experiences but I am using a bt8x8
solution so I can't even try to apply your "lavrec" usage to a
solution for my hardware.  It appears that lavrec only deals with
zoran video-capture devices, like the Miro/Pinnacle DC10(+), the
Iomega Buz or Linux Media Labs' LML33.

Thanx anyway.

b.

The sort of jerkiness you are talking about is typically the result of 1 of 2 things:

1) Hard disk speed is too slow. To fix this, use hdparm to optimise your drive settings, or use a compression algorithm with higher compression ratios.

2) Your CPU is too slow to compress the video real-time. In this case, use a faster compression algorithm.

(Possible 3: If you only get this when recording from a VCR, try the VCR hack that was posted to the list a while ago - this helps a lot if your VCRs playback timing is slightly off.)

You may notice that these two are contradictory - so you need a fast HDD or a fast CPU, or preferably, both.

I have an Athlon 600, and use DIVX4rec with the "-dq3" option. It never drops any frames, and the quality is still pretty good. On a PIII-800, I use "-dq 5", and the quality is awesome...) On my old K6-2 300 I had to use QTrec, and later convert to divx, but two lossy compression stages are a bit bad for quality. mp1e is the best low-cpu option I have ever seen, but I have had many problems with A/V synch.

-justin