Re: captured video is "jerky"

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 10:50:08AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I sure would love to achieve the kind of quality that I frequently
> download from a.b.m.  Is anyone getting this kind of quality?

I dunno what you're downloading from a.b.m., but the stuff I downloaded
from the Babylon 5 group is, although fairly good, nowhere near as
good as what I'm capturing with my DC10+ and zoran/mjpegtools.

I've been at this only a few months, though, and am having trouble
imagining what kind of jerkiness you're referring to. I'm entirely
unfamiliar with all the tools you're using.  With the packages I'm
using, I generally find out if there's a problem with the capture
before I invest the time in encoding it: either lavrec reports
too many dropped frames for the result to be acceptable, or xlav barfs
on the .avi when I make up the editlist, or the encoding itself reports
errors with the input stream.  If none of those warns me about anything
and the MPEG2 file I create has problems, running mplayer on the .avi
files usually helps me find what actually happened.

FWIW, it was a long row to hoe getting to this point.  I seem to have
a strange conflux of hardware which has been temperamental about
working together under what qualifies as "extreme conditions", and
sometimes I've had to upgrade some software pieces while downgrading
others. Recently I tried to retrace that path, from capture card to
sound card to IDE eccentricities to NICs to capture software to encoding
software, and finally came to the conclusion that I took too many twists
and turns too quickly, and took too few notes, to accurately depict
how I finally did it.

Once I actually got everything working, though, the worst I usually
experience is an out-of-sync problem, which in my case is most often
due to a drag on nfs while I'm reading the file, and not in the file
itself.  But then, I'm notorious for pushing my systems to the brink,
loadwise. <grin>

Sorry I can't be more help, but I did want to let you know that
quality IS possible.

Donna.
pudge@xxxxxxxxxx