Re: [ot] web cams.

Quoting Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I've heard some reports that many of the taiwanese motherboard makers
> felt sufficently jerked around by Apple that even regardless of the cost
> licensing they would refuse to include firewire even if it were free.
>
> Possibly not good business sense, but you can't count on foreign cultures
> to act the way you want them to.

It actually might make all the business sense. It's called "risks" and
"uncertainty". Nobody wants to be forced to either accept unacceptable
licensing-terms-of-the-day or be sued into oblivion (with possible
recall of the product, financially devastating of course.)

In any case, firewire PCI cards are freely available.

Dmitri

--
Microsoft: "You didn't want to save that, didja?"